Monday, December 5, 2011

One Survivor Remembers


1)   For me the images that were the most powerful were the pictures of the mass graves. They were the most powerful to me because when I looked at those pictures it made me think that this had happened hundreds of times during the war and all of the people that were killed. I think that they put these pictures in then beginning of the film to show what the film is talking about and that this happened to the families of the people in the movie.
2)   The Nazis dehumanized Jews by separating them from their families. They would take them away from them to make the Jews feel like they were alone and to make them even more sad. Gerda overcame this by keeping hope and through her friends. She stayed with them and they were able to stay alive and make important decisions in their lives.
3)   Some of the things that I would miss if they were taken away from me would be my pets and some simple things like my house. One thing that I think I take for granted would be the lifestyle that I have. I live better than the people who were taken by the Holocaust. I think that I would miss my way of life a lot if it was taken away from me.
4)   We like to say that these were such horrible times but it wasn’t that long ago and there are still people who do these things today. Many people are still racist, and there are still hate groups. I think that the only way to fight these groups is to protect the people who they want to hurt and to fight back by letting them realize that acting like this will never get them anywhere.
5)   I think that the heroes of this film are Gerda and her friends, but also the women who saved her life in the labor camp. I think that Gerda was very strong because she was able to remain hopeful during this, but the women who saved her went against what others thought of her and helped the girls. I think that we can make the world better by learning about this and making sure that nothing even slightly similar to this ever happens again.

1 comment: