Friday, November 18, 2011

Night


For my second book club post I will be writing about an exert from a book called Night. The part that I read is about a girl during the Holocaust writing about how she was crammed into a train and forced to ride to a labor camp. She writes about being in the train and how traumatic it was and how it made some people actually lose their minds. In the exert she writes about a woman named Mrs. Schachter and her son, and how during the trip she writes about how she kept yelling “Fire, I see a fire! I see a fire!” (P#2) During the story she becomes so obsessed with yelling this that at one point some of the men actually bound and gag her in front of her son; so that they can get their minds off of where they are all headed.
            I have many questions about after this part of the story. Does the main character die in the labor camp, does Mrs. Schachter calm down after they reach the end of their horrible ride, and do most of them die in the labor camp like so many others? I can infer that there are hundreds packed into all of the cattle carts of the train in total, because it speaks about how trapped they are. It also talked about how the luck ones are the ones who get to be stuck by a window so they can see something while the others just look each others sadness. “We decided to take turns sitting down. There was little air. The lucky ones found themselves near a window: they could watch the blooming countryside flit by.”(P#1) When I read this I think about how we all look back on the days that this is happening and we are sad but the people who were actually in it look back on those days with despair.
            Another question that I have about later in the book is what happened to Mrs. Schachter’s little boy. The main character said that she thought that he was about ten years old. Did he leave his mentally unstable mother, did he leave the labor camp, and did he ever do anything important? From reading a little bit of the story it leaves me with a lot of questions, but it also leaves me with very little things to infer because from the piece of the story I read anything that I would try to infer later in the story would be a wild guess. This story makes me think about all of the people who were killed and about all of the people who suffered for others blind hatred.

3 comments:

  1. You had few errors, but I did notice you said that the main character was a girl when Elie Wiener is actually a man. I love how you compared what happened in the story to how people actually perceive the Holocaust now. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Mason, you captured the passage very well. In the first paragraph you said that the passage was about a girl that was traveling on a train. I am wondering why you thought that. When I read this passage I read it in a boys perspective. Over all it was pritty good. Great job and enjoy your Thanksgiving break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Mason! You really understood the passage. I appreciate how you thought a lot about the train ride and compared the victims' views of what transpired in Europe during the start of the Holocaust to the way people view the Holocaust today. I also really want to know what happened to the son of Mrs. Schachter. I think you mistook Wiesel for a girl. I understand how you could have thought he was a girl, as he doesn't clarify his gender and his name is Elie. I think his name is Eliezer, which would have made it more clear. You also made a few errors in your grammar/mechanics. Overall, this is an amazing blog post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete